The #1 cosmetic dentistry procedure requested.
When asked, people frequently report that they wish they had whiter teeth. There is no shortage of kits and treatments to help you whiten your teeth, but you should always speak with your dentist before choosing a whitening product. Our dentists at Marks Family Dentistry have experience with teeth whitening procedures and are ready to help you decide which route is best for your oral health.
Quick Appointment Request
There are many causes responsible for the discoloration of your teeth, but some common causes of discoloration are:
- Food and drinks: drinks like coffee and red wine often contribute to the discoloration of teeth because the color pigments attach themselves to the surface of the teeth.
- Tobacco: tobacco users may notice more stains on their teeth because of the tar and nicotine.
- Medication: antihistamines, blood pressure medication, antibiotics, and chemotherapy can all contribute to the discoloration of teeth.
- Age: as the enamel of the tooth wears down; the yellow dentin underneath will begin to show.
Mechanicsville, VA | Richmond, VA | Atlee Station, VA | Studley, VA | Highland Springs, VA | Chamberlayne, VA | Lakeside, VA
If you are considering getting your teeth whitened, visit one of our dentists at Marks Family Dentistry to determine whether or not you are a candidate. Moreover, it is important to remember those whitening agents will not remove all types of stains or discoloration, so it is imperative that you are your dentist discuss your options together. Upon deciding that you want to whiten your teeth, you have a few options: you can have your teeth bleached in our office or at home, or you can use a whitening toothpaste.
- Bleaching (in office): Your dentist will apply a protective gel and shield to your gums and bleach your teeth in the office. Teeth whitening typically only requires one visit.
- Bleaching (at home): Over-the-counter bleaching kits are available and use a lower concentration of bleach than what your dentist would use. The gel or strips will bleach the tooth enamel. You should always discuss teeth whitening with your dentist before choosing a kit.
- Whitening toothpaste: Teeth whitening toothpaste uses an abrasive scrub to remove the surface stains on your teeth. Some will have chemicals and polishing agents to help increase the effectiveness of the treatment. Teeth whitening toothpaste, however, is not bleach and will only remove surface stains, not change the color of your teeth.
Some patients may experience tooth sensitivity after a teeth whitening procedure, but this sensitivity is generally temporary. Overuse of whitening agents can cause damage to your teeth and gums also, so it is essential to keep your dentist involved throughout the process, even if you bleach your teeth at home.
Why Marks Family Dentistry?
Experienced teeth whitening dentists
Our team makes coming to the dentist easy. Whether you need a dental cleaning and exam or an advanced dental implant procedure, we provide you with compassion, personalized care, and expertise. We’ve brightened the lives and smiles of many patients. Let us brighten yours!
Are you ready for teeth whitening in Mechanicsville?
At Marks Family Dentistry, your oral health is essential to us, and we are dedicated to ensuring that you receive the dental care you deserve. If you’re interested in whitening your teeth for a brighter smile, call our office today at Marks Family Dentistry to schedule your appointment.
Conveniently located off I-295 at Exit 41-A. Take 301/Chamberlayne North to the 2nd stop light at McDonald’s. Turn left. Go on a block. Turn right. Go one block. Marks Family Dentistry is on the right, immediately behind Wawa.
Marks Family Dentistry
Our goal is to provide the best preventive and diagnostic care for our patients as well as a full spectrum of advanced dental products and procedures. We pride ourselves on the quality of our staff and facilities, as well as the technical advances we employ.